Essex County Transparency Portal
Essex County is committed to honest budgeting, responsible spending, and financial transparency. In this spirit, the County has partnered with OpenGov to provide its citizens and stakeholders with this Financial Transparency Portal. The portal is designed to bring visibility, openness, and accountability to our operations.
Essex County is pleased to make this financial information available to its citizens. The County staff have worked hard to ensure the data presented is accurate. Please understand that this is a work in progress and we are continuing to improve the accuracy and quality of our data. We feel that making the information available to our community is more important than having perfect data. If you find something that does not seem correct, please notify us so we may fix the issue.
| This is the default view you will see when accessing the portal. It shows County Expenses sorted by Funds.
This site provides you the opportunity to view, filter, and analyze revenue, expense, and balance sheet financial data for Essex County. Also, you are not limited to viewing your County’s financial data online. You can download the data for offline analysis and even share it on social media.
Tips for using Essex County's Transparency Portal
- OpenGov allows you to explore Essex County's finances by using a simple graphical user interface. The default view displays expenses broken down by Funds.
- Essex County's main fund is the General Fund. Most of the county's expenses come from that fund.
- As you are reviewing the revenues and expenditures for Essex County, note that the General Fund includes transfers to the Community Services Act Fund, the Virginia Public Assistance Fund, the Debt Service Fund, the School Fund and the School Construction Fund. These amounts are also reflected in those funds’ budgets so may appear as being “double counted.” Please take this into consideration when calculating the total budget for Essex County.
- The title of the chart or graph you are viewing is located at the top of the page.
- To focus on specific data - like a fund, department, expense type, or any combination - use the menu on the left side panel. The "By" drop-down allows you to specify which breakdown you want the graphs and table rows to represent on the graph. You can analyze the expense and revenue data by fund, department, or type.
- You can also view a Table detailing the financial information in the graph by scrolling down the page.
- The data may be downloaded into a .csv file which may be opened in Excel or other Spreadsheet program. You may also download the graph or table as an image file (.png). You may also share the information via email or social media.
- If you have questions or comments, you may send them to the County via the help menu located at the top right of the screen. There are instructions on how to send an email to County Staff in the drop down menu.
Links to get you Started:
What are the County's Overall Revenues and Expenses?
What Revenue Sources Contribute to the County's General Fund?
How does the County Divide the General Fund among the County Departments?
What does the County Spend on Public Protection?
How Much Property Tax Revenue does the County Receive?
Other Essex County Transparency Initiatives:
Essex County is committed to open government and transparency. To facilitate this commitment, there are numerous initiatives that have been implemented to provide the citizens of Essex County access to the operation of their county government.
BoardDocs: In 2014 the Essex County Board of Supervisors began using Boarddocs to provide increased transparency to their regular meetings and work sessions. The online portal allows community members to view the agendas for the meetings and access the supporting documents that previously would have only been available upon request. Click HERE to visit the Essex County BoardDocs site.
Municode: Essex County has made all of the County’s ordinances and codes online in a downloadable and searchable format. Click HERE to visit Essex County's Municode site.
Advisory Boards and Commissions: Essex County has established several advisory Boards and Commissions comprised of citizens to provide guidance and input to county departments. Click on the title of the board or commission to visit their webpage for more information.
• Agricultural and Forestal Economic Development Advisory Board
• Animal Control Advisory Commission
• Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission
Board of Supervisors Meeting Audio: When the new audio system was installed at the Essex County School Board Meeting Room, it provided the ability to record meetings in a digital format. Click HERE to visit the Meeting Audio page
Essex County Documents and Policies: